Tuesday 24 July 2012

Polytunnel: Part 3 - Giant Meccano

Tuesday 24th July 2012
The scorching weather continues.
Long may it last!
I made good progress yesterday, ending the day with a very satisfying colonnade of nine hoops. But when I looked in the stables most of the giant Meccano set was still there!
It's becoming apparent that Wednesday's deadline will need a minor miracle. Not to worry though, the forecast has this glorious weather lasting till at least Thursday, when the wind dies down - perfect for cover day.
After two days, at last things are taking shape.
I got the last hoop up late yesterday, too late for a photo.

These P-clips are used everywhere to fit the pipes together.
These ones cover the hoop joints and are known as the Storm Protection System,
One of the extras I purchased to protect my tunnel from the ravages of the fenland winds.


Next step: The central ridge.

Straw bales make an excellent work platform.



Very slow progress for the morning. Frustrating delays as the self-drilling screws prove not to be so well-named.
Thanks go to Don for saving the day with his extra long extension lead and metal drill bit for drilling pilot holes.


Stabilising corner bars and the top door rail attached.
The parasol is to keep the metsal parts cool.
At one point they got too hot to pick up!

Now for the crop bars.
Not a necessity, but useful
for hanging things from and attaching things to.
Also provide extra strength.



A well-deserved beer after another very long, very hot day of Giant Meccano.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to read them. I've been having a little trouble with not getting notifications, but think I've sorted it out now so I'll do my best to answer!

Looking Back - Featured post

ONE THOUSAND BLOG POSTS IN PICTURES

Ten years and a thousand blog posts! Enjoy. Pictures in no particular order.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...